Saugus is located in the northern central area of Santa Clarita, near Valencia
. This community was named after Saugus, Massachusetts, the home town of Santa Clarita founder Henry Newhall. The term "Saugus" originally came from the Narragansut Indian phrase meaning "sandy spit of land." Today, Saugus is a community made up almost entirely of residential development, winding through Bouqet Canyon Road.
Saugus's main park is "Central Park
," which has some of the best open air park facilities
in Santa Clarita. Other Saugus parks include the Bouquet Canyon Park, Pamplico Park, and Santa Clarita Park.Other notable Saugus landmarks include:Saugus Speedway
- One of southern California's largest and oldest open air markets.Mountasia Family Fun Center
- with arcade games, go karts, laser tag, mini golf, rock climbing wall and more.Santa Clarita Sports Complex
- with basketball courts, gyms, racquetball courts and game rooms.Central Park
- including various sports fields, restrooms, picnic areas, trails and dog park.Santa Clarita Skate Park
- One of the better skate parks in California!
Santa Clarita Aquatics Center - Including three pools, diving facilities, concession facilities, and slides and water play equipmentSaugus Cafe
- Historic cafe and the oldest continually operating restaurant in LA county!